Tuesday, February 24, 2009

tasty things

I've been a little preoccupied in the past week with writing and studying. So first, check out allthingscottage, because it is up-to-date and chock-full of neat stories and home ideas. Share it with your friends and neighbors!

For those of you that love food, I highly recommend Kim Sunee's memoir, "Trail of Crumbs: Hunger, Love and the Search for Home." Although she's barely 40 years old, she has lived a rich, fascinating life. It's a delightful read, plus there are recipes at the end of most of the chapters. Neat.

After I took the GRE yesterday, I was so relieved to be able to put away all my notes and flashcards. So to celebrate, I baked one of my favorite desserts: Gran's Pumpkin Bars.

My sister and I used to spend our afternoons at our friends' grandmother's house when we were younger. Although she's not our grandmother, she likes being called Gran. And she loves to cook. She would make casseroles and pasta and buttery biscuits for us while we sat on her pastel-colored daybed and watched VH-1's Pop-Up Videos. Good times.

Anyway, I don't remember the first time I ate her Pumpkin Bars, but I remember asking for them on my birthday for consecutive years after the initial tasting. Last night was my first attempt, and they were perfect.

Gran's Pumpkin Bars

4 eggs
1 2/3 cup sugar
1 cup cooking oil
16 oz can pumpkin




2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 350. Beat eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until fluffy- about 5 minutes. Mix in dry ingredients. Spread in ungreased 15x12 or 9x13 pan. Bake 25-30 minutes. Check center with toothpick before removing from oven. Let cool completely before frosting.

Cream Cheese Frosting

8oz cream cheese
1/2 butter softened
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups powdered sugar

Beat together until smooth. Spread generously on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment