Thursday, February 12, 2009

be the bloom!

Valentine's Day is not like other holidays. President's Day, to me, always feels like just another day. Veteran's Day evokes a somberness when many people honor memorials. And Memorial Day, well, that's what I call vacation.

Depending on one's marital status, Valentine's Day (and the bombardment of pink and red commercial advertising) tends to reveal different characters in people; typically the elated lover or the surly single. For those of us that wish to steer clear of these stereotypes, let us rise up with fists- full of flowers! (btw- this awesome sculpture is in Oslo, Norway).

Every year, the jewelry businesses and romance blogs try to convince you that flowers are cliché. But I'm not having it. Nothing makes my day like fresh flowers (I love this arrangement by Red Rose & Lavender, a floral shop in Williamsburg, NYC). In addition to giving flowers this weekend, I'll also be planting them. What kind of flowers can you plant during the month of February? I asked the Helpful Gardener.

So whether you feel like a "bleeding heart" or a "sweet violet" this Valentine's Day, discovering the first blooms of spring in your garden are bound to make you fall in love with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment