Monday, August 10, 2009

weekender: homegrown

After this weekend, I really feel like a "foodie," a term used frequently in the blogosphere, but I'm not sure all its users know where it came from. According to Wikipedia, Paul Levy and Ann Barr coined the word, foodie, in 1981 when they published The Official Foodie Handbook. Referring to the growing group of food and drink aficionados, foodies are "amateurs who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation and news."

Well, I would proudly consider myself a member of this hobbyist group, even if it is a recent obsession. I was inspired to cook after seeing the newly restored "Bon Appetit!" exhibit featuring an exact replica of Julia Child's kitchen. This woman is amazing. I went to the kitchen twice. All her copper pots and crazy kitchen tools... totally inspiring. I mean, look at her!

On Saturday, I walked a few blocks to visit the Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market. I love the way farmers markets make me feel, appealing to all the senses: the smells of fresh cheese, peaches and arugula, the heat of the sun and breeze through the tents, listening to the whines from the greedy children with their bartering parents and seeing the colorful, if misshapen produce picked fresh from the vine.

Mt. Pleasant is a nice market because it's small. It is ideal for those that live nearby and are able to build relationships with the farmers. However, the prices seemed a bit steep for the fixed quantities that were for sale. Compared to other markets in DC, there's more elsewhere for a better price. But if you're into the neighborhood gathering type thing, Mt. Pleasant is great. I left with a loaf of kalamata olive bread, tomatoes, feta and a lovely arrangement of fresh flowers.

Then I met a friend downtown for a picnic on the mall. We made a stop at the Cowgirl Creamery for some goat cheese, hummus and drinks. What a neat shop. Based out of California, the DC creamery is simple, but has so much to offer; especially for picnickers.

Then on Sunday, some girlfriends and I drove out to Homestead Farm in Poolesville, MD. We picked peaches and blackberries (and ate plenty along the way). Ben and Maureen Allnutt also grow lots of fresh vegetables on the farm, and you can buy them in a small barn near the entrance. Delicious maroon heirloom tomatoes, clean and polished green beans, zucchini, squash, corn, bell peppers, eggplant, etc. It was marvelous. And spending under $20 for 11 pounds of homegrown fruit and vegetables was a steal! Stay tuned for whatever yummies develop from my fresh farm purchases. More updates on Mid City Caffe coming soon as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment